Sunday, October 31, 2010

garlic and marigolds

According to the U of M extension folks, I'm about two weeks late on planting garlic. It should be done within one to two weeks of the first frost, so that roots are developing and shoots are growing, but not above soil level, by the time of the first hard frost (28 degrees - so that answers that question for me. Thank you U of M).

Having adopted the stance of my father-in-law ("try it and see"), I planted my garlic today (adding compost to my bed, digging 1" deep holes, spaced 8" apart with rows 1' apart, (which took up 2 rows of my 10' bed (bed #5))), despite being off on my timing. Then I mulched with straw and I'm about to go water (knowing that water is fundamental to all life, I forgot that part until now) and maybe it will work and maybe it won't. If I get to the point where I can harvest garlic, I'll know the time is right when the foliage dies back. Then dig up bulbs, dry in the sun and store in a cool, dry well-ventilated location (which I don't have).


Does it work to save marigold seeds? As I was digging out the frost-bitten marigolds, it seemed worth a try to save the seeds. I'm drying them out now and then I'll tuck them in an envelope and and see how they do come spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment