Wednesday, September 29, 2010

just cos ...

and Black Seeded Simpson. I picked a half dozen Parris Island Cos plants and cleared the way for another row of seeds.
 I only planted the BSS and PIC. A Northern Gardener article suggested planting seed through the autumn and covering the lettuce bed with 6" of straw once the nights get frosty. With luck and a good covering of snow, the lettuce might be ready to grow with the first warmth of spring and I'll be eating fresh, home-grown lettuce in early spring.
Above are the PIC and BSS a week or so ago. I have decided against rotating my crops within the season. So this is the lettuce and radish bed and it has had several plantings of lettuce (different varieties) and radish over this summer. Plus I had beans and peas in this bed. I do add compost into the bed before each new seeding. So far it's working.

No comments:

Post a Comment